While enjoying an outing with your family and friends, mouth-watering grilled chickens along with grilled burgers, hot dogs with seasoned sausages and much more, would definitely make your day memorable. But don’t forget that in order to make the overall barbecue party cherishable, there are many things that you need to consider for total safety. So, here is our grill safety tips.
Each year, some 10,000 home fires occur due to the usage of outdoor grills and such incidents are unfortunately on the rise. Firefighting authorities state that these accidental fires occur mostly from to the gas grills, as compared to the charcoal ovens.
Now, you will certainly not wish to spoil your picnic or vacation for any of the wrong reasons. So, take it upon you to keep yourself and your family safe by implementing the Grill safety Tips.
General Grill Safety Tips:
We have got a comprehensive list safety tips and measures that can help you enjoy a safe barbecue. Let us check them out:
- Get instructions from owners manual – The owner’s manual is provided for you not to just forget it in any of the drawers of your kitchen. But you should be familiar with its design and working conditions before you use it the first time. You can get to know how to assemble the grill correctly and also if all the parts are attached and stable before cooking.
- Propane and Charcoal Grills to be lighted outdoor– You should use both Propane and Charcoal Grills outside your home and not in your courtyard, patios or porticos even. Both the gas and charcoal grills emit dangerous toxins and smoke that has to be unobstructed from an outlet to escape.
- Choose the appropriate place in outdoors– Even though you have chosen to place your grill outside of your home, you must also take care that you opt for the best appropriate place like avoiding deck railings, under eaves and beneath overhanging branches.
- Choose fire permitted areas– When you head out to your favorite place for grilling, you should also check if that area comes under any sort of fire restrictions. You may also check for the fire danger ratings if any, in that particular locality.
- Place the grilling stove firm– Make sure to place the stoves, may it be a propane or charcoal ones, unmovable from the ground. You should fix them on the place where you think they stand stable and does not get tipped over at any circumstances.
- Always keep the grill on the noncombustible surfaces– You should take care of the surfaces where you are to place your grills.
- Keep the grilling parts clean– You must clean both the grill and its tray beneath it before you start and also after you end. Make sure you do not find any grease or fat build-up on any of its corners. This helps you in two ways of being hygienic and also doing good maintenance of the stove for its longevity.
- Electric grill stove caring– If you are using an Electric grill, it may be less hazardous. But still, you may get damages in other possible ways. Take care of your building from getting burnt and heat damages. Don’t use it on wet places.
- It is dangerous to leave the lit grill unattended– If the grill which is under usage, is not under the supervision of any of us, it may end up with risk. The flames are always not stable and it may be dangerous at any time. Hence they must be under the administration of experienced adults.
- Do not move the grill when it is lit– It is not safe to move the lit grill at any stage. There are chances of getting fire when anything goes wrong. Also, don’t allow pets or kids to play near the grill.
- Do not overload the grill– If you fill up your grill stove with the maximum load of food, say meat, then it would drip lots of fat on the grill tray. This may eventually, cause a light up of fire in a large flare. Hence, you can have the chances of getting the fire of the nearby things.
- Always be ready to put off the fire – As a precaution, keep a fire extinguisher or a bucket full of sand near the grill. But do not ever try to put off the grease fire using water.
- Dress up suitably– If you are not wearing clothes that are fit for standing before the flames, then you are not doing the right thing. As one of the Grill Safety Tips, you should wear clothing that is, for sure, do not dangle over the lit grill.
- Keep your arms safe– Keep your hands and fingers safe when you get to handle with heat and flames. Do not forget to wear your grilling hand gloves for your utmost safety
- Keep your home decors away from the grill– Even though you keep your grill outdoors, make sure the home décor items are kept on their place. The modern-day decors have fire friendly materials . So, it is better to keep your home decor items such as pillows, umbrellas, hanging baskets and all other fiber made items, away from the grill.
- Extension cords for Electric starters– You can also use electric starters for the charcoal grill ignition that do not need fire. But, make sure you have the extension cords for the same when using outdoors.
For the Propane Grill Stoves
Gas grills are extremely risky. The following guidelines will help you enjoy your barbecue party using a gas grill.
- Check for any leakage– If you are using propane grill stove, then you should be looking for the leakages in the gas pipe. Do a bubble formation test by applying soap in the hose. It indicates the leakage of the fuel. Other ways, you may check for the gas smell near the hose or the stove may not ignite when flamed. Also, make sure you check the major connection points between the propane gas tank hose and the regulator.
- Turning on the gas in the wrong way– Do not try to switch on the gas when the grill cover is closed. It will ultimately cause the formation of gas inside the grill lid. And when you try to light it and open, there are chances of a fireball exploding on your face. Never ever, have a trial on such things.
- Do not re-light instantly– If you find the flames going beyond the grill edges of the propane grill stove, then switch off both fire and grill once. Let them cool for at least five minutes until when you try to switch it on the next time.
- Shut down your gas grill properly– When everything is completed, do not forget to turn off the gas burner along with the fuel supply even. You should always wait for the grill to cool down completely, to move it further to its ideal place.
For the Charcoal Grill Stoves
Although less prone to accidents, you must be equally careful while using charcoal grills. Here are some quick tips for you to keep in mind.
- The best Charcoal starter is newspapers- For igniting a fire in the Charcoal grill, the usage of newspapers is the best way. Starters for Charcoal Chimney help you to start the charcoal grill using papers as fuel.
- Be careful with Charcoal starter fluids– If you are using a fluid to ignite the charcoal grill for the first time, then do not ever try to pour the same the second time to ignite it. It is too dangerous to pour the fluid when you still see the fumes or pouring just o flames. Never try to add other flammable liquids on the flames.
- Keep Charcoal fluids out of reach of kids– You should keep the charcoal fluids in its appropriate place after use. Keep the habit of placing it away from the kids and also from heat sources.
- Follow proper disposal procedure– When you finish cooking on the charcoal grills, you should wait for the charcoal to cool down completely. Then, you need to dispose of it making use of a metal container.
- Usage of Long Matchsticks– To avoid getting your fingers burnt, you can make use of long length matchsticks for igniting the charcoal or even the propane gas burners.
Here are the safety tips that you should practice WHILE grilling
- If you smell any gas leaks while cooking, immediately turn off the gas tank and burners.
- Even though the leak stops as soon as you start cooking, make sure you call a professional and check for any errors in the grill for the future usages.
- But if you find the smell of the leakage continues, it is the high time that you should get ready to call the fire department immediately. And make sure that you do not move the grill at this instance.
- Keep all the things such as food wrappers and towels, away by at least a three-feet distance from the grill.
- Never make your children less than 10 years of age, to try cooking on the grills even for a single time.
- You should make use of grilling tools with long handles to provide yourself a plenty of space to use, in order to stay away from the flame heat. This way you also get to have a lot of clearance in doing all other activities nearby cooking.
- You should never leave the flame unattended, to multiply itself. This may cause burns over you and on the food, leaving it uncooked.
These are the tips that you should practice AFTER using the grill
- After having your meal and before you leave the area where you grilled, extinguish the fire with sufficient water. You can also touch the area, check whether it is not too hot, and then leave the area.
- 5% grill firs break in open spaces like lawn and garden.
- Always have the habit of collecting the leftover hot charcoal in a metallic container, which does have a closed lid.
- In addition, place that metal container away from objects that can possibly catch fire.
- You should not put the used charcoal into a plastic trash can.
- Always store the fluid for the charcoal starter in a place where you can reach easily the next time when you need it. Moreover, the place should be out of bounds for your kids and also away from any kind of heat source.
If you follow these tips and guidelines shared in this article, then you can effectively help prevent the risks of fire while using a barbecue grill.
When you feel like preparing grilled foods to appease your taste buds, choose the grill stoves that you find easy to operate. But the first thing that you have to keep in your mind, at this instant, is that you MUST follow the safety measures. These grill safety tips will not only allow you to enjoy the barbecue for yourself but also keep your near and dear ones safe and happy. So here’s wishing you a happy barbecue party!
If you want to see our reviews about grills click here